The Most Frequently Asked Questions about Storage Baskets and Storage Bins
What can storage baskets and storage bins hold?
There are few things a storage basket can't hold. They can hold seasonal clothes, sports equipment, bric-a-brac, linens for bed and bath, beach towels, artist’s equipment, kitchen tools, stationery, books, and much more. Insulated baskets can even be used as flowerpots or holders for flower arrangements. Another good thing about storage baskets is that they can be decorative as well as utilitarian.
How can baskets and bins be decorative?
Many people tuck baskets and bins they use for storage in shelves or cubby holes in their mudroom, laundry room or bathroom. They buy sets of identical baskets or bins that can be color coordinated to go with the room. At the same time, they are still used to hold useful items nearby but tucked neatly out of sight.
What are folding storage baskets?
A folding storage basket is one that can be folded in order to be stored away itself when it is not needed. Often, folding storage baskets are made of fabric such as canvas, colorful plastic, or some other material that can be easily folded. Of course, these baskets can be put in their own baskets until the user has need of them again.
What are they made of?
Baskets for storage can be made of a wealth of materials, some of which include the following:
- Rattan: This is a type of plant that can be woven. Rattan is often used for wicker furniture.
- Bacbac leaf: This is another plant material derived from the abaca, which is a sort of herbaceous tree. The bacbac is taken from the outer layer of the leaf sheath. Bacbac resembles wicker but is far more nubbly and has an interesting texture.
- Buri: These are the leaves of a palm tree.
- Plastic: Strips of plastic can be interwoven to make a basket.
- Straw: Straw is the dried stalk of a plant such as wheat, oats, or rye that can be woven into baskets
- Wire: Baskets woven out of wire can be especially decorative. Some wire baskets are foldable.
How are bins different from baskets?
Storage bins are also receptacles that hold items, but a basket is a receptacle that’s usually made out of interwoven materials. A bin is often solid and can be made of anything from galvanized metal to wood to tough, colored cardboard, MDF, or plastics including polyethylene and polypropylene.