The Most Commonly Asked Questions about Standing Lamps
What are the different types of standing lamps?
Floor lamps consist of a base that sits on the floor and a hollow pipe that rises from the base. The pipe hides a power cord that is attached to the socket at the top of the pipe. A floor light fixture can have many variations. Here are a few configurations:
- Arcing or arched: This lamp has a socket and shade attached to a long, curved arm that rises out of a floor base. The lamp can extend over a sofa, chair, or other piece of furniture.
- Multi-arm: This lamp is also called a tree lamp. Two or more light sockets and shades are attached to this type of light fixture. Typically, the position of each light can be adjusted to illuminate different areas of the room.
- Swing arm: This type of lamp features a swinging arm that allows you to move the light source over a work surface or behind the shoulder to meet specific lighting needs.
- Torchieres: A torchiere is designed to throw light up toward the ceiling and is ideal for boosting the overall light level in a room.
- Traditional: Traditional fixtures are tall vertical lamps with a fixed socket and shade attached at the top.
What kind of floor fixture do I need?
You will need to know where you want to place the lamp and how you will use it. Floor lamps can be used to light a room and add visual interest to the decor. Standing fixtures can also be used to highlight a specific task or surface. Before you purchase your standing lamp, decide how it will support your needs. Standing fixtures that are adjustable are ideal for reading. Floor lamps that direct light toward the ceiling are good for general or ambient light.
What height lamp should I purchase?
If you want a torchiere or accent lamp, choose a height that is above your line of sight. This prevents the light source from blinding you when you're standing or walking around the room. Adjustable-height lamps are designed to allow you to use the lamp while sitting. To know what the best lamp height is for your body type, select the chair you want to use with the lamp and have someone measure from right above your shoulder to the floor. When purchasing a lamp, check the specifications for overall height and any height adjustments that the product includes and compare them to your measurements.
Can I change the lamp shade on my lamp?
Many lamp parts are replaceable. Check the specifications for the lamp you want to purchase to verify whether the shade can be removed and replaced. Changing a shade is a great way to update the decor in a room.