Important Information about Solar Lamps
What is solar lighting, and how does it work?
Solar lamps are also known as “solar lights” or “solar lanterns.” They are a type of light that collects energy from the sun and converts it into electricity, which in turn can power many items, including lamps. Lamps that run on solar power are called “photovoltaic.” They change sunlight directly into electricity. There are a few basic parts to photovoltaic lamps. These include:
- LED lamp
- Solar panels
- Charge controller
What are some benefits of using solar lamps to light my home?
Solar-powered lighting can replace many other lamps and lighting fixtures around your home. Solar-powered lighting has some very positive benefits, such as the following:
- They have a low operating cost because energy from the sun is free
- They do not require cords or cables to operate.
- They can be used in remote areas that lack electricity, such as when you're camping.
- They minimize pollution and improve air quality.
What kinds of solar powered lighting is available?
Just like electric lamps, their solar counterparts come in a range of styles to fit your needs. One favorite type of light can work outside with your existing landscaping by illuminating paths and other garden features. These are usually staked directly into the ground to hold them. Some other examples of solar lighting include:
- Lamp posts
- Table lamps
- Floor or standing lamps
- String lights, such as fairy lights or Christmas decorations
- Decorative and hanging lights that come in many shapes and colors
How long does solar-powered lighting take to charge?
There are a few important things to remember when you are using solar devices for lighting. Since they run off of batteries, they need to be fully charged before they will emit any light, so you should expose them to sunlight before using. Also:
- Lights will grow in brightness level over several days of being exposed to the sun.
- If you place your lights in the sun, it can take about eight to 10 hours for a charge that lasts about 10 or 12 hours.
- If you put your lights in a place with partial shade, you can expect to have a dimmer effect.
Where should I put solar-powered lighting?
You should map out where you want to put your lights so that they get maximum sun exposure. You can essentially place them in any area where you want more illumination. A few ideas would be:
- Dark corners
- On or around fences
- Gates or trellises