Show more products
The Most Frequently Asked Questions about Computer Desks
How do I choose the right desk for my needs?
Before you consider buying a desk, you should have a clear idea of the purpose and task of your new desk. Simply find your individual answers to the following questions:
- How often do I work at my desk?
- How much space do I need for my computer and accessories/reference materials?
- Is the desk intended for a separate office space or does it have to go with the look of another room?
- If so, does it have to do double duty for other uses?
What are the different types of computer desks?
Unlike general-purpose office desks, this type of desk is designed specifically as a computer workspace, taking the placement of various hardware components into account, often offering ergonomic solutions. Some desks feature a flexible design; they can be folded down or closed and even rolled into a corner to fade into the background. These models are perfect for shared spaces like bedrooms or family rooms. If the desk footprint is not an issue, a solid office unit might be the best choice. Many desks come in modular configurations with matching office furniture such as file cabinets or printer consoles.
What are the most important features of a computer desk?
With a wide variety of desk models to choose from, you will be sure to find one that suits your purpose and complements your home. However, a desk used for computer work should offer a few essentials:
- Sufficient desk space for the monitor(s) or laptop
- A hard drive shelf underneath the tabletop - only necessary for desktop computers
- A keyboard tray or drawer at a low, comfortable height for ergonomic typing
- Cable slots, tabs or other cable organization and storage solutions
Should I choose a sitting or standing desk?
This is a very personal decision. While standing desks are said to support cardiovascular health and help alleviate back issues, this type of desk is something you should try before you buy. If you can work comfortably at a standing desk, you can choose from a range of elegant, modern, and space-saving solutions. A traditional desk, on the other hand, is designed for your comfort and often offers more flexibility and storage space. If you work at the computer for long periods or experience issues with certain physical strains, various desk accessories like footstools and wrist supports are available to add to your desk.